Friday, October 9, 2015

Guest Post: Zombie Barbies

Speaking as a children's librarian who no longer conducts regular programming for children, I often rely on member libraries in our system for good, low-cost ideas to pass along. This one comes from Linda from Gouverneur, who knocks it out of the park by transforming Barbie dolls into Zombies. And just in time for Halloween.

Well, the program was a hit, for sure.  We had adults, teens, and kids.  People got very creative and we didn't make too much of a mess.  They all agreed to let their Barbies be on display for a couple of weeks.


I altered the directions somewhat to fit my own needs.  For example, I used flat taupe spray paint instead of grey, as it seemed more realistic.  And rather than use yellow paint for the eyes, I used black and dabbed at the paint with a paper towel.  A craft sponge would work equally as well.  Instead of using dye in the water (because I was too cheap), I squirted different colours of paint into the water until it was an acceptably nasty colour.  I stirred it in and let the clothes soak for a bit.  Then, to make the clothes even grimier, I squirted more black and brown paint in, which got on the clothes and left spots.  Awesome!

I spray-painted the dolls, being careful not to get too much on the face; I didn't want to obscure the features...yet.  I also tried to get very little in the hair.  I used paint markers of various colors just because I wanted to.  I also dipped my doll's hair into the nasty water, although none of the participants did that.  It made the hair pretty messy.  Which was what I was after.

Using small paintbrushes, I dabbed red paint on the clothes, body, and face.  I also used a toothbrush for a mottled bloody look.  Then I ran my thumb over the bristles to create a splatter effect.

Oddly enough, finding used Barbies with clothes was a tougher thing that I imagined.  All the thrift stores were out.  Finally, a trustee found several at the thrift shop she works at.  They were more expensive than they should have been ($30 for 10), but by that point I was desperate.  With more planning and an earlier start, that part of the program could have been much cheaper.  I spent about $60 on acrylic paints, spray paint, paint brushes, paint markers, and fabric markers.  The fabric markers worked well for griming up the clothes even more.

Although I left my Barbie's clothes intact, the participants cut and tore the clothes for further effect, which turned out great.

Even with fifteen participants, there were plenty of supplies left over (except for the dolls, of course).  The program can definitely be pulled off for less than $100, probably for closer to $50.  Fifteen was the max for the space I had to work in.  It was popular enough that I may very well turn it into an annual program.  I could stretch it over two or more nights to include more participants.  For example, thirty people could participate in groups of fifteen over two nights.

Everyone had a great time.  I had people ages ten to adult.  I wouldn't suggest having participants younger than ten, as it does get very messy and it does call for fine detail work and some patience.  We completed the zombification in two hours and left the dolls over night to dry.  If done during the summer, the program would take longer, as the paint and clothes would take longer to dry.  I made my zombie when it was humid, so mine took a weekend.

I would highly recommend doing this.  Most people have or can get their hands on a Barbie doll.  Zombies are all the rage and signs point to this being so for quite some time.  There's really no way for participants to make mistakes; it's a zombie, so anything can happen.  It was a pretty inexpensive program, it worked for almost all ages, and people had a great time.  And when you're done, you have a great Halloween decoration.  Or, if you're like me, an all-year-round decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment