Tuesday, June 10, 2014

TI Book Fest 2014

I didn't get to go to the first Thousand Islands Book Festival; this time last year, I had just moved back to Watertown and was still sorting through boxes and trying to decide where to hang my print of R5 stations.

This year, though, there was no doubt that I'd be attending. I was on the fesitval committee.

The TI Book Fest is a pretty neat event that goes beyond just getting to meet an author and have them sign your book - although you can do both of those things, of course. In addition to the standard meet and greet, the authors at the festival give class visit-style presentations that encourage audience interaction.

I spent most of the day with author/illustrator Suzanne Bloom - not only because she's cool and left-handed, but also because as her festival buddy, it was my job to make sure she had everything she needed.

Suzanne Bloom, reading to the group.

Highlights of hanging out with Suzanne:

1. Her goose voice while reading her Caldecott Honor-winning book A Splendid Friend, Indeed
2. The way she opened her presentation by showing reproductions of her own early childhood artwork to the audience.
3. The child who finally made the connection about 15 minutes into the presentation that the lady up front talking about the books actually wrote the books. (And I quote, "Hey! YOU wrote that book!")
4. Talking about the #WeNeedDiverseBooks campaign happening right now.

Other festival highlights included attended Joseph Bruchac's music & storytelling presentation, watching Matt McElligott draw a cake monster for my niece's upcoming birthday, unintentionally following Vivian Vande Velde around (unintentionally, I swear!), doing selfies with Terry Trueman, and, of course, hitting the book sale table.

And this is why I cannot be trusted with cash at a book festival.
Good time had by all. Looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment