Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Barbara Wheeler Farewell Interview, Part 2

Last week, The Frozen Librarian published the first installment of The Barbara Wheeler Farewell Interview. Here is the second.

Angela: What led you to librarianship as a career? Did you always know you wanted to work in libraries, or did you work in other fields prior to entering ours?

Barbara: I didn’t always know that I wanted to work in libraries.  I think the idea for that profession comes to most of us later in life.  I got a Bachelor’s Degree in English (with a minor in Library Science), but without the teaching component there isn’t much you can do with an English degree.  I was able to work as a library paraprofessional in a couple of jobs and when I got a position as the Head of Circulation at Troy State University in Dothan, Alabama, the professionals on staff encouraged me to go to Library School.   I had a profound respect for this particular group of coworkers and was touched by their conviction that I would make a good librarian.  So, that above all else convinced me to pursue my library degree.  

Angela: It's wonderful to have that kind of supportive environment. I'm glad they convinced you!  My final question before the lightning round is: What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a public library director?

Barbara: I would advise anyone who wanted to become a library director to take every class and workshop available to them that deals with human resources and/or personnel management. There are a lot of good books and articles out there about the subject and I would recommend you take advantage of the wisdom that others have written to guide your knowledge in this area.  If you work for a good manager, take notes! Because of all the things that you face as a director, dealing with the people issues will be a big part of the job.  Being prepared will mean it won’t be the biggest headache of your job.

Angela: Good advice. And now, the lightning round. 

A: Fiction or non?   
B: Fiction, definitely.  Tell me a story in an entertaining way and I’m happy.

A: Coke or Pepsi?  
B: Definitely Pepsi (though admittedly, I failed a taste test in a supermarket and picked Coke).

A: Douglas Adams or William Gibson? 
B:  Douglas Adams – big fan of the Hitchhiker’s series.

A: Dog or cat?  
B: Cat.  I own two cats but I’d like them to have a new home.  So…I guess, dog?

A:  Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune? 
B:  Jeopardy.  Though it humbles me to learn how much I don’t know.  Read more nonfiction?

A: Chocolate or vanilla?  
B:  Vanilla, all the way!

A: Vampires or zombies?  
B:  Leprechauns.

A: Baked or mashed?  
B:  Baked and then mash the potato inside.

A: Pen or pencil?  
B:  Pen, except for crossword puzzles – not confident there.

A: Benedict Cumberbatch or Jonny Lee Miller?   
B:  Oh, Benedict.  Definitely Benedict!!

Here at The Frozen Librarian, we always save the important questions until the end. Many thanks, Barbara, and best of luck!

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes to a dedicated librarian, a wonderful woman and an all around class act. Barbara, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete