Friday, March 18, 2016

Where I Was: Week of March 7

Wow. Last week was a doozy. Not so much the events themselves (a library board meeting, a school library council meeting, a literacy night at an elementary school, and an outreach event), but the driving it took to get to them all. I drove over 240 miles on Thursday alone. 

For you musical theater fans, that comes out to listening to the entire Broadway soundtrack of The Secret Garden three and a half times.*

For the rest of you, that's almost five hours. 

We're getting to the time of year where driving becomes a bigger part of my work week. From now until November, I can usually count on being out at the libraries at least a few hours a week with site visits, library board meetings, and other appointments as they arise.Which is great! It's actually one of the best parts of my job, getting to talk with people about what's going on in their libraries.

But the actual getting there can sometimes be a drag.

Audiobooks help, but it's not always easy to find a reader I like. And the radio isn't really a good bet, since I'm not the biggest fan of classic rock, modern country, or Top 40, which is what dominates the airwaves in this area. If I'm driving my own car, I'll listen to whatever's in the CD player, but I don't keep much music in the car.**

Obviously, when we get a regional rail in this area, I'll pass the time by reading.*** Until then, maybe I'll pull a Jackson Brodie and brush up on my French. 

*And oh, how my upper register is shot. Can't really sing Lily anymore. Or Colin, for that matter.

**It's amazing that any CD in my car even plays anymore, since the odds are good I've lost the case and the unprotected disc has been sliding around on the floor with an unfinished croissant and the road salt from my boots. 

***A girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment