Friday, March 4, 2016

Where I Was: Week of February 22

To paraphrase my own 13-year-old self trying to keep a New Year's resolution, I am surprised at how quickly keeping up with journaling has gotten away from me. As February ends, I find myself out of the office more and writing less. Still, there's time to quickly bring this blog up to speed.

Last Monday I went down to Parish (86 miles round trip) for a New Director Orientation. New Director Orientation is something our consulting department provides to member libraries, and it's a way for us to review some essentials (minimum standards, types of funding, role of trustees, etc.) as well as the services that the system provides (delivery, technology support, online resources, etc.). The conversation will vary, depending on how much experience the new director already has - especially if they have already been working in a member library and are familiar with NCLS - but it's a good opportunity for questions and clarification.

On Tuesday, I went to Fulton (116 miles round trip) to attend a meeting of the Oswego BOCES School Library System Council, of which I am a member. The meeting was spent reviewing and modifying the school library system's plan of service for the next five years. Incidentally, this is also something my public library system is in the process is doing, so it was interesting to see the process from another angle.

On Wednesday I was sick. (Truly, I'd been sick for a week, but Wednesday I finally gave in.) I stayed home and ate the last two pieces of toast in my house and watched Inside Llewyn Davis and Belle, sometimes through my eyelids. Thursday and Friday were largely spent catching up from being out of the office all week.

Next: Advocacy, Outreach, and Orientation. Tune in!

No comments:

Post a Comment