Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Limberjacks and cranberries.

Two things I learned at the Williamstown Library summer reading kickoff last night:


 1. Thanks to performer Cathy McGrath, I learned what a limberjack is.  Also called jollyboys or jig dolls, limberjacks are a rhythm instrument in the form of a puppet. Ms. McGrath entertained the crowd outside on the lawn with songs, drumming, and dancing.

2. I learned that Williamstown is the Cranberry Capital of New York State. This is the kind of thing I pull the car over for.


Many thanks to the Williamstown Library for inviting me down. It's so nice to see children and families signing up for cards, heading to the circulation desk with an armload of books, and enjoying a library event.

2 comments:

  1. It was so nice to meet you at the Williamstown Library! Thanks for mentioning my performance and linking to my programs. I always open and close my performances with the limberjack menagerie and always enjoy the songs that the folks suggest that they dance to. I'm smiling because, to be accurate, the "audience" became the performers when they played the drums and did the dancing to their own voices singing. That's the beauty of folk music: it belongs to all of us! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy. Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete