Monday, July 21, 2014

Hats off to storytime!

Just had to share this pre-K storytime from Linda in Gouverneur. The theme? HATS!

I've been a huge fan of hats my whole life. Some little girls liked the red velvet dresses at Christmas; I always longed for the white straw hats at Easter. Obviously, I'm on board with this theme, especially with the inclusion of the first story, which is one of my all-time favorites:

This is Not My Hat, by Jon Klassen. When a tiny fish shoots into view wearing a round blue topper (which happens to fit him perfectly), trouble could be following close behind. So it's a good thing that enormous fish won't wake up. And even if he does, it's not like he'll ever know what happened... (Description from Goodreads.)

Magritte's Marvelous Hat, by D.B. Johnson. D.B. Johnson writes and illustrates the surreal story of famous surrealist painter Rene Magritte and his very mysterious (and mischievous!) hat. While the art reflects some of Magritte's own work, the text sets readers on a fun and accessible path to learning about the simpler concepts behind Mr. Magritte's work. (Description from Goodreads.)

For rhymes and songs, she's using Hat Woes and That Spells Hat, both from the Storytimes Online Hats page.

But the craft is what really caught my attention. Partially because it's on Shakespeare's head. Partially because it's awesome.


Linda says: I used a paper bowl and affixed feathers, stickers, and sequins.  Probably best to use school glue, but I used a glue stick and so far everything's still attached. Simple. I opted for the Mardi Gras Powerpuff Girls look. For a fancier hat, you could run a ribbon around it and let it drape down the back. Or color it black and make a bowler.  Possibilities: endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment