Monday, June 23, 2014

Off to Vegas!

The first time I ever went to Las Vegas, it was March, and the weather was delightful. The second time I went, it was May, and I thought I was going to die. I vowed never to return, a promise that I'm breaking this week to attend the American Library Association's Annual Conference.

Photo by Pobrien301
Why would I venture into 100+ degree temperatures when it's a biological fact that the dry heat steals the breath out of my lungs like a meteorological demon? When I'm so pale as to glow in the dark? When I dehydrate faster than a fish from space? Well, I'm serving on the 2015 Sibert Award committee, which is super exciting.

(Side note: Have we talked about the Sibert Award yet? We probably should. To quote directly from the ALSC website:

The Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal is awarded annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished informational book published in the United States in English during the preceding year. 

Fancy, right?)

In addition to going to my Sibert meetings, I'll also have the chance to attend sessions on early literacy, rural libraries, and funding, to name a few.

Also, AUTHORS. Some of my favorites will be there signing books, and I plan to meet at least a few and comport myself like a professional lady - and not the goofball I am in real life.

(Side note, part 2: I can actually do this. I met Jon Scieszka once and did NOT tell him I wanted him to come to my house for Thanksgiving.) 

I may or may not be blogging from the conference, but I'll certainly be tweeting it.

From indoors. In air conditioning. Wearing sunblock and drinking lemonade.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment