Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Where I Was: Week of March 28

Well, I definitely let the last two weeks get away from me*, so there's no blog post for the week of March 21. The week did happen, and I went to a member library (Hey, Williamstown!) and a school library (Hey, Belleville-Henderson!), but I just don't have time to go back and recap it. Best to keep moving forward into the alleged spring.**

Last week, I was putting the finishing touches on a new class, since one of my responsibilities at the system is to contribute to our professional development opportunities for member libraries. NCLS offers a number of classes each year, from collection development to web development and beyond. Most of my stuff is (not mysteriously) related to youth services, but I've been known to dip my toe into grown-up land every now and then, too.

On Thursday, I drove to Sandy Creek for a trustee orientation (new handbooks for everyone!) before heading to Pulaski for the aforementioned new class. Trustee orientation is one of the most common classes I teach, and usually it's less of a class and more of a guided discussion with two or three people.

The new class is about the roles of library staff vs. trustees vs. Friends groups, and even though we cover this information during trustee orientation and new director orientation, there is certainly enough content to go deeper into the subject. I had a responsive, good-sized group with all three populations represented. I got a good sense of the timing, as well as what adjustments to make the next time around. I am not at my easiest speaking in front of a group of adults (again, not mysteriously), but I can say that this is a class I'll be happy to add to my regular rotation.

*I also had two doctor's appointments and a day off. Because doesn't everyone take April 1 off? Everyone should.

**Or, as Kurt Vonnegut called it, the Unlocking, which is a much better term. (And, perhaps, a good title for an upstate paranormal thriller?)

No comments:

Post a Comment