Thursday, September 3, 2015

Guest Post: Variations on a Crafty Theme

Speaking as a children's librarian who no longer conducts regular programming for children, I often rely on member libraries in our system for good, low-cost craft ideas to pass along. These two come from Kristy - a regular craft contributor to this blog AND the new director at Theresa Free Library:

I contacted Fort Drum many months back and requested a vehicle and personnel at the library.  They were able to send four soldiers and two HMMWVs (that's Humvees to you and me!)  Well - one Humvee.  There was a transmission issue with one of them and it had to go back to post.  Anyway.  They parked the vehicle in front of the library, let the kids sit in, pop their heads out through the roof, try on the helmets, etc. etc.  The kids didn't have too many questions, but the parents asked some.  We went inside and I read the story Gabe: The Dog Who Sniffs Out Danger, which is the true story of a military working dog who sniffed out IEDs in Iraq.

After the story, we decorated the clip art image of the dog with whatever crafty items I had in house.  I had brought in a bag of alpaca fiber that I had at home as well.

The owl photo was our craft for "drop in" Thursday.  I have been setting up easy crafts in the children's room so that people can stop by and make them, but there isn't a story time associated with the craft.  For the owls, I just downloaded a template and cute out the owls from cardboard shipping boxes I had at home.  I decorated mine with cut up pieces of newspaper.  The kids were a bit more creative!


Once again, both of these were easy to put together with items we had on hand (except for the Humvee of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment