Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spotlight on Williamstown

Jim McCarthy
Now that the roads are clear and the weather is fine (or on its way to being fine, at least), I find that I'm struck down with a pretty serious case of wanderlust. Lucky for me, I love wandering. Even luckier for me, I was able to head down to Williamstown Library yesterday to attend a children's program they were holding in the morning.

The performer was Jim McCarthy, who led the preschoolers in interactive, reading-themed songs. Most of the songs were originals, but there was at least one cover that I recognized. Many of the songs encouraged the audience to sing along, which I need to remind myself is for the kids and not for me. (I tend to Sing Out, Louise, which can sometimes be distracting when NOBODY ELSE IS.) Because of the number of kids, the program was held in the library's meeting room, rather than the children's room.

However, that doesn't mean that I didn't get to the children's room. I always get to the children's room.

The children's room at Williamstown Library.
I really love the bright colors in this space, the child-friendly visuals (carpet, curtains), and that the seating is scaled to kids. Also, Clifford. 

Clifford, you know, just hanging out.

On my way out, I noticed a display of juvenile and YA books that had recently won awards, and scooped up Charm & Strange and When the Beat was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop, which I was completely (and giddily) surprised to see in rural Williamstown. But that's the beauty of libraries. By providing materials that show a variety of experiences, libraries expand a person's world.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Williamstown has a thriving underground hip hop scene. In which case, I'll be heading back down there again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment